Ready or not. Another week comes.
Since the school year began this past August, I feel like this family of six has been burning the candle, not just at both ends, but every possible which-way.
Slow down. Please, stop. Let us breathe for a moment. New plan? “No.” Just. Say. No.
To unnecessary goings-on. To rat races begging to be run. To the things that wear away at our little (maybe not-so-little?) family. (And to drugs. Always so no to drugs.)
We only one get one chance.
Peanut, Ladybug, Lovey, and Cupcake are sweeter than an Oklahoma tea on a sunny day. And The Man? Well, he is just as lumberjack handsome as a man can be. (swoon) Sometimes, we just need to be together.
No screens. No phones. No distractions.
Most of you know how adorably rambunctious my sweet 5-year-old Lovey can be. Last week, she absolutely outdid herself all in one day.
Oh, let me count the ways:
- The entire salt container emptied onto the carpeted stairs.
- The unwanted cheese from lunch strategically placed in my boots.
- The mysterious disappearance of all the breath mints and gum from my handbag in one sitting.
- The “lemonade” she made in her own bedroom for the Barbie doll party.
- The markers she used to make Cupcake into a tiger.
- The “washing” of the entire bathroom with the cloth diaper sprayer (massive amounts of soap included).
Her response? “I was bored.” That sweet little thing just need to something to do. And attention. Intense, undivided, full-of-wet-mommy-kisses, attention.
But then… books. “Lovey, let us read.”
We reorganized the book shelves together and put our favorites all in one spot. The new books we ordered the prior week arrived just on time and we organized those, too. And we read. And read. And read. Fairies, pirates, and Curious George.
She was not bored anymore. My boots remained pleasantly cheese-free, my handbag was locked away, and the bathroom stayed dry.
(Cupcake garnished my hot coffee with a red crayon, but that is a story for another day…)
Here’s to a beautifully beginning week of stimulating busy little minds, keeping busyness at bay, and a healthy dose of coffee.
Love & Coffee.